Is Easter all about chocolate in your house? Then why not use holiday time to cook something healthy with the kids?
This vegie scroll is a regular event in QT’s Executive Chef Greg Benny’s home.
“With lots of pumpkin available, here is a wonderful recipe to make with the kids,” Greg says. “Once you perfect it, the flavour combinations are endless. My wife changes the flavours every Sunday and this becomes part of the kids’ lunches for the week.”
3 c Greek yogurt
4 c self-raising flour
250g sautéed baby spinach
200g good quality feta
350-400g pumpkin, cut into 1cm cubes
2 cloves garlic
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
few fresh sprigs of rosemary to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Finely dice two cloves of garlic. Place garlic and pumpkin in a bowl and drizzle 3 tbsp oil over. Mix and set aside.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan and add baby spinach. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Wilt and set aside.
- Put the flour on a clean bench top and make a well in the middle. Put yogurt into the well and, starting from the outside, work your flour like you would making fresh pasta. Once all the flour has been mixed in and the mixture is still a little sticky, add a little more till it comes together. Knead like bread for a few minutes till soft.
- Dust the bench with flour and roll out into a large rectangle shape ½ cm thick. Spread the pumpkin, spinach, feta and rosemary over the dough mixture and gently start to roll away from you like you would roll sponge to make a Swiss roll.
- Once you have a nice tight roll, cut it into 2cm thick slices. Place slices on a tray lined with greaseproof baking paper, leaving space to rise. Bake for 15 minutes. If the slices look just underdone, turn off the oven and leave them for a few minutes. Take out when golden and sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Let them rest and they can be eaten warm or at room temperature.
The QT Hotel in Staghorn Avenue, Surfers Paradise, contains several restaurants including Yamagen, Stingray Lounge, Fixx Café and Bazaar, which features interactive marketplace dining. The Bazaar Brunch, held every Sunday in Bazaar, is a decadent feast offering fresh and fabulous brunching choices from interactive food stations. Phone 07 5584 1238 to book.
NOTE: This article was published in The Sun on 27 March 2018.